RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: June 2010

Ribbit!

I remember reading through Stitch n’ Bitch way back in college when I first got a copy.  Somewhere in there Debbie Stoller explained the origin of term ‘frogging’ for ripping back.  My mind must be going because I can’t remember if she said its because somehow the noise of ripping back a project resembles the noise frogs make or that ‘rip it’ and ‘ribbit’ sound similar.  It must be the latter.  I’ve heard plenty of frogs and they do not sound at all like the sad little noise of ripping out knitting.  Frogs are actually quite loud, especially when its summer and you’re trying to sleep in a house that’s next to a marsh.

Regardless of the origin of the term, I am currently faced with having to do some frogging myself.  Below is my Somewhat Cowl, which has been keeping me company while I listen to bar review lectures.

While I working on it, I started to think it was coming out a touch too big, and that perhaps my gauge had changed when I switched to knitting in the round.  Turns out I was right.  I decided to wash the incomplete body to check on everything and my gauge is looser on the lower half of the sweater.  I tired on the sweater and, as I expected, in the back there’s a loose flab of fabric.  Sometimes, its hard being right.  
Of course, this issue was possibly made worse by my inability to count.  I added a couple stitches because I thought I needed to have the right number for the ribbing.  Turns out I was wrong about that the number.  I fudged the ribbing a bit since I was feeling lazy.
Now I could ignore the extra fold of fabric.  Its not so bad as to be unwearable. Actually most people probably wouldn’t even notice it.  But I still have a few more weeks of bar lectures and if you’re going to knit a sweater you might as well do it right.  So my poor little somewhat cowl shall be partially frogged.  
But at least I have pretty socks that are going well to knit on the beach this weekend.
Advertisements

Spindling away

I’ve been continuing on my journey into spinning and I’ve managed to finish two yarn within the past few weeks.

First up is the fawn coopworth wool I bought at the Connecticut Sheep and Wool Festival, which became this pretty little yarn.

Between these two skeins I have about 95 yards.  The weight overall is probably worested, but it gets kind of bulky in some spots and dk-ish in others.  It’s pretty and rustic and I’m quite pleased.  It’s also the first yarn I made with my Kundert Spindle.  Having a better spindle made a huge difference for me, and is at least part of the reason why this yarn came out nicer than the black Shetland.

My current plan is to knit this up as a hat, probably Buttonhead from Knitty.  I have some faux leather buttons that I think will work well with the rustic nature of my yarn, and of course look really cute.

I also made my first foray into colorful rovings with another Sheep and Wool Festival purchase,

I like the barber pole look of many hand spun yarns, and wanted to achieve a similar look with this yarn.  I though this would look nice since the roving had such bright cheerful colors.  To do this I split the roving in half lengthwise and started spinning each half from opposite ends, with my Kundert again.  While the same color did meet at certain point I did get my barber pole at others.

From this yarn it also became apparent to me that setting the twist really can make a huge difference.  I got Maggie Casey’s book Start Spinning for my birthday and followed her directions for setting the twist with this yarn.  I don’t have a before picture, but I think the yarn looks so much nicer now.  Here’s a closer view:

Overall, I’m happy and I really like it.  My spinning is more even in the these yarn and I was able to spin thinner.  I ended up with about 85 yards of yarn that is probably DK to Worested in thickness, but have no idea what I’ll use it for.